Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Hole in One

I was flipping through old pictures the other day and came across this one:

I want to say first, I am not an avid golfer.  I am not even good.  But this day, I was THE BEST.  So when we lived in Texas, we were members of the golf course across the street from our house.  In the summer we went golfing all the time.  I never liked going just the two of us, because we would always get paired with two strangers, always men.  It is extremely intimidating golfing in front of men.  I feel like they are thinking, good lord, just hit the damn ball so we can go onto the next hole.  Its hard enough to make contact with the ball when you are on your own, add three men watching?  Unfathomable.  So we go from hole to hole, hitting, chasing, hitting, chasing.  We get to hole seven.  This is a really short hole, that goes over the pond.  

It's hard to see where I actually teed off, but it was at the very top of the picture, under the pool.  
By the time the Chief and the two guys with us had made their shots, the pair of men that were golfing behind us had caught up.  They told me to go ahead and hit the ball and we were going to let them play through us.  So now, not only is the Chief watching me, but the two guys we were with are standing there, AND the two guys that had caught up were there too.  So NOW here I am trying to hit a ball with four strangers and the Chief watching.  No pressure.  I grabbed my driver, reminder I am not that good, so the club I love the most is my driver.  Any good woman player would have used a 7 iron.  If you know anything about golf, that should tell you how NOT good I am.  I am terrified as I walk up to my ball.  Please don’t hit the houses to the left.  Please don’t go in the water.  As far as the ducks laying in middle of the fairway?  Go ahead, that would be better than the other two options.  Here goes.  I swing.  Beautiful swing.  Happy it didn’t land in the water, or through the window of the nearby house, I bend down and pick up my tee, as one of the guys say, “Ummm, that went in the hole.”  
I turn to him and laugh, “Trust me, I suck.  It didn’t go in.”
The other guy says, “Holy shit, that chick just got a hole in one.”
The Chief turns to me and said, “Go check, babe.”  
As I walk to the cart laughing, I yell back, “Guys, it DEFINITELY didn’t go in.”  
They all just stand there until I drive up to the hole.  I get out of the cart, walk onto the green and over to the hole.  I stand over the hole, remove the pole, and see MY.  BALL.  SMILING.  UP.  AT.  ME.  As I bend down to grab my ball, I can hear the men screaming and cheering.  I turn to them and jump up and down with my ball in my hand.  I am facing five men yelling and cheering.  I think they were more excited then I was.  When they got over to the green, they congratulated me saying they had never before witnessed a hole in one.  
The rest of the 18 holes?  I sat in the cart and called everyone I knew to tell them about my amazing accomplish aka my lucky shot.  No way was I going to play anymore golf.  You can’t outdo a perfect shot.  
Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment