Sunday, May 12, 2013

Love her...



Today is a special day.  A special day directed towards a certain group of people...mothers.  Being a mother is a job for only a certain group of people.    Anyone can be a parent, but it takes a special person to be a mother.  A mother puts her children before herself.  She sacrifices things she may want so her children can have more than what she had.  

My mother is an amazing woman.  She raised two girls to be successful loving women.  In this day, that isn’t as easy as it sounds.  My mother worked just a little harder so that I could go to a private school.  When I came home from my first day of high school, I told her I couldn’t do it.  I told her I didn’t want to go back.  I told her in my math class there was a girl that was eight months pregnant.  I told her that the boy that sat next to me in science had gages in his ears and he pulled down his pants and mooned the teacher in the first ten minutes of class.  You know what my mom did?  She put me into a private school.  She didn’t make me go back to that public school.  She worked a little harder so that I could be in a school that I felt safe in.  She taught me that I didn’t need to conform to something I didn’t believe in.

My mom also started me in piano lessons.  It was something I begged her to do, and she finally agreed.  And when I wanted to quit?  She wouldn’t let me.  She didn’t want me to quit something because she knew it was something I would regret quitting.  She taught me that it was important to follow through with something I started.  She taught me to reach, not to quit.

My mom always packed my lunch.  When other kids had twinkies and chips, I had apples and carrots.  I would try each day to convince other kids to trade...that was quite the challenge.  I usually ended up eating my carrots and apples.  She taught me my health was important.  

My mom always made me sit down after receiving a gift, and write a Thank You Letter.  I hated doing this.  I thought it was time consuming and figured the gift giver wouldn’t care either way.  I did as I was told, because that is how I was raised.  She taught me to be a grateful, respectful woman.

My mom worked hard every day.  She got up and went to work, came home and fixed our family dinner, did the laundry, and still had time to love us.  She never missed work.  Never lost her job.  She never came home and said she was too tired to help me with my homework.  She taught me responsibility and work ethic.

My mom held my hand through three of my four births.  She brushed my hair off my face as I cried out with pain shooting through my body.  She looked me in the eyes and told me how proud I was making her.  She told me that I could do this.  I was strong, and I wasn’t going to quit.  I knew she was right.  I trusted her.  If she thought I could do it, then I could.  She taught me strength.

She took me to church at a very young age.  She made sure I was involved in the youth group and paid for me to go to camps to help others.  When I needed help she directed me to the bible.  She told me to pray harder and ask Him for guidance.  She taught me to love the Lord and trust that His plan is the right plan.

My mom gave her time and love to others.  She taught Sunday school for years.  At Christmas she was generous to those in need.  She welcomed and loved my friends.  She helped others who looked to her for advice.  My mother taught me compassion.

My mother is straight as an arrow.  She never abused drugs, never abused alcohol, and always did what was right.  She loved her girls, and would do anything for us.  She held me when I cried, and encouraged me when I was falling.  She sings hard and laughs lovingly.  She keeps her mind healthy and her heart happy.  She taught me love, strength, compassion, responsibility, and respect.  She is a mother.  She is MY mother.   

No comments:

Post a Comment