Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mail



How nice is it getting mail?  I don’t mean email, or junk mail...I mean REAL mail.  It isn’t very often that I get something in my mail that has my name handwritten across the envelope.  My heart STILL skips a beat when something is for me.  

Why is it that getting mail makes people feel good?  The day before Mother’s Day, I got a box with my name on it!!  Chief said he didn’t order anything for me, so the box was a mystery.  It didn’t have a return address on it, but it still looked legit.  I took my time opening it, trying to savor every second of anticipation.  There it was...a cookie bouquet from Blond BFF.  I was so excited!

It takes time out of your day to sit and handwrite a note to a friend...I realize that, which is why I don’t do it that often.  I think I do it more than your average bear, but I still don’t do it as much as I should.  It is much easier to shoot someone an email, but it is also less personal.  Back to the Thank You notes, they are important.  It is important to convey the message that you are humble and greatful.  This world doesn’t have a lot of kindness, so the kindness it does have needs to be recognized.  You need to be appreciative and make sure they know that you know their kind gesture is appreciated.  

I challenge you to sit down and handwrite four short letters to people (you have until Friday).  Stick a stamp on them, and mail them (in the little box at the end of your driveway).  Your letter doesn’t have to be about anything in particular, it just needs to be a letter.  Write and tell someone how much you appreciate their friendship...or you can tell them about a funny memory you had of them.  It doesn’t have to be important because I assure you, the fact that you took the time will be enough appreciated.  I know I am not the only one who likes to get mail.  Make someone else’s day.  Make FOUR people’s day.

1 comment: